The International Society of Media in Public Health (ISMPH) in collaboration with other relevant civil society organisations said an estimated 2.6 million Nigerian children within the age of 5 suffer from Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM).
ISMPH who said humanity should be a priority to all, added that, health is recognised as a fundamental human rights because of its nexus with life. While saying that UNICEF estimated that 1,150 children die in Nigeria everyday because of SAM, it further added that about 420,000 children under the age of 5 die every year in Nigeria.
Speaking in an interactive session with media practitioners in Sokoto, a senior programme manager with ISMPH, Mr Samuel Dogo, said there are other extremely dangerous conditions that make children nine times more likely to die from common childhood illness such as diarrhoea, pneumonia and malaria.
He stressed that malnutrition has lasting effects on individuals, families and nations, adding that nearly half of all children’s deaths are related to poor nutrition.
He also added that, 10 per cent or more of a person’s lifetime earnings can be lost due to lower productivity, reduced cognitive ability and increased health care cost. Dogo also added that 3 to 16 per cent of the GDP in African economies is lost due to under nutrition.
Dogo also said that Nigeria has low commitment in Hunger and Nutrition Commitment Index. ISMPH programme manager said that there is evidence of insufficient coverage of CMAM in Sokoto as only 9 out of the 23 local governments has its presence.
Dogo also said that statistics has shown that Sokoto State malnutrition rate is almost twice the national average hence about 900 per 1000 children suffer acute malnutrition. “The prevalence of Severe and Moderate Acute Malnutrition cases in Sokoto State is 1.7 per cent.
Nigerians’ drugs use more than twice the global average.
One in seven Nigerians uses drugs, more than twice the global average, according to the country’s first major national drug-use survey published on Tuesday.
The survey, conducted by the Nigerian government, the European Union and the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime(UNODC), said an estimated 14.4 percent of Nigerians uses drugs. That is more than twice the global average of 5.6 percent.
It based its findings on data collected from nearly 50,000 respondents.
Survey findings ‘striking and alarming’
In Nigeria, that 14.4-percent figure translates to 14.3 million people aged 15 to 64 using drugs other than alcohol and tobacco last year, said the survey.
“Some of the findings of the survey presented today are striking and alarming,” said Nigeria’s health minister, Osagie Ehanire.
They require “concerted efforts to mitigate the negative consequences of this rising menace on the health, socio-economic and security of our nation”. A new drug-control masterplan was being formulated to tackle the problem, he added.
The report revealed for the first time the extent of drug use in Africa’s most populous nation.
Nigerians and prescription painkillers
It said that 4.6 million people — 4.7 percent of the population — used prescription painkillers such as tramadol and cough syrups for non-medical purposes last year.
This abuse, responsible for most of the negative health impacts of drugs, led to Nigeria banning codeine-based cough syrups last year because of concern at the spiralling rates of abuse.
The levels of consumption in Nigeria placed it among the countries with “highest estimates of non-medical opioid use globally”, the report said.
Many of Nigeria’s drug users are in the restive northeast, which has suffered from the Boko Haram insurgency for almost a decade.
But the highest rate of drug use is in the southwest, where just over one in five (22.4 percent) of 15-64 year olds used drugs last year, the report said.
In Lagos, Nigeria’s sprawling megacity where poverty and unemployment is increasing, drug use was even higher, at 33 percent.
In Nigeria, as in the rest of the world, the most abused drug was cannabis, according to the report.
Kenya’s Olympic marathon champion Jemima Sumgong has had her doping ban doubled to eight years after submitting fake medical documents to a tribunal.
Sumgong had received a four-year ban in 2017 following a positive test for the banned blood booster.
The Rio 2016 women’s marathon gold medallist had claimed she had been given a blood transfusion at the Kenyatta National Hospital on February 23 for an ectopic pregnancy. But She was never in the Hospital.
She did not undergo any testing and was not prescribed medication, according to the doctor.
This indeed was the Kenyan second anti-doping violation, regarded as “tampering with a doping control”. As a result, she was handed a further four-year ban. She will be Freed on April 3 in 2025.
Virginia law states that “if any person profanely curses or swears or is intoxicated in public, whether such intoxication results from alcohol, narcotic drug or other intoxicant or drug of whatever nature, he shall be deemed guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor”.
The DC United striker responded through a spokesperson later on Sunday explaining the situation and saying it is now past.
“During the flight Wayne took a prescribed amount of sleeping tablets mixed with some alcohol consumption and consequently was disorientated on arrival,” the spokesperson said.
“He received a statutory automatic fine and was released shortly afterwards at the airport.
He made an immediate impact at Audi Field, scoring 12 goals in 21 matches to help lift the side from the bottom of MLS’ Eastern Conference to secure a playoff place.
Despite that disappointment Rooney was named as D.C. United’s MVP and Golden Boot winner for the 2018 season.
In September 2017, Rooney was arrested by Cheshire police for driving over the drink-drive limit. Rooney, who was playing for Everton at the time, subsequently pleaded guilty to drink-driving at Stockport Magistrates’ Court later that month.
He was fined £170, banned from driving for two years and ordered to complete 100 hours of unpaid work as part of a 12-month community order. His club Everton also fined Rooney two weeks’ wages in the region of £300,000.
Rooney has scored more than 250 career goals since making his debut as a 16-year-old for Everton in 2002.
He joined Manchester United in 2004 and went on to score 253 goals to become the Red Devils’ all-time top goalscorer.
Rooney is also England’s top scorer and second most-capped player with 53 goals in 120 international appearances.He retired from international football in August 2017 but came out of retirement for a farewell appearance against the United States at Wembley in November.
China is to send any athlete caught doping to jail henceforth. The new law making doping a criminal offence will take effect in 2019.
China’s state news agency Xinhua, reports that both the Sports Ministry and judiciary are currently drafting the proposal which will criminalise doping
It says from 2019, Those guilty of doping will face criminal punishments, making China the latest country to make doping in sport a criminal offence.
Germany first introduced a law in December 2015 which states that athletes who test positive for performance-enhancing substances could face a prison sentence,
Also in the United States Senators introduced the Rodchenkov Anti-Doping Act in the House of Representatives, which they claim will establish criminal penalties for doping offences.
They warned this will apply to all major international sport competitions in which US athletes participate, as well as where organisers receive sponsorship from companies doing business in the US or are compensated for the right to broadcast their competition in the country.
Previously punishments for doping in China have been restricted largely to fines and bans.
The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), however, have consistently criticised moves to criminalise doping.
In January 2017, three Chinese women’s weightlifting gold medallists at the 2008 Beijing Olympics were disqualified and stripped of their medals for doping following a reanalysis of their drug tests.
The Latvia 🇱🇻 Athletics Association President Ineta Radevica has tested positive after a retest of her sample from the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The former long jumper finished in fourth place at the Games, with a distance of 6.88 metres.
United States’ Brittney Reese won the gold with a distance of 7.12m, with Russia’s Yelena Sokolova and Reese’s team-mate Janay DeLoach completed the podium with efforts of 7.07m and 6.89m respectively.
Radevica was selected to carry Latvia’s flag at the Closing Ceremony in London.
The Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) have confirmed Radevica’s positive retest, for the anabolic steroid oxandrolone.
Radevica was crowned European champion back in 2010, while the Latvian enjoyed a podium finish at the 2011 World Championships.
She initially finished in third place at the Championships in Daegu, with Reese emerging as the gold medallist.
Radevica was later upgraded to the silver medal after Russia’s Olga Kucherenko was disqualified following a positive retest of her sample from South Korea.
She received the silver medal at the World Athletics Championships in London during 2017. In her reactions she said ‘’I have deliberately not used illicit drugs, I understand that this does not relieve me of responsibility for what happened, so I am now doing my best to cooperate with professionals and all involved parties.
“The fact that the new findings in the analysis relate to events that have taken place so many years ago makes it harder for defenders to defend themselves since not all treatment and medication documents and samples of that time have survived.”
Ineta Radevica responded to news of the positive test with a message on the social media.
The 37-year-old added that her focus would be on her family, as she is currently pregnant with her third child.
Should the positive be confirmed, Radevica would become the third finalist from the women’s long jump final at London 2012 to be retrospectively disqualified.
Russia’s Anna Nazarova and Belarus’ Nastassia Mironchyk-Ivanova were both disqualified following positive retests.
Radevica’s positive test follows the announcement last month that additional retests of samples from the London 2012 Olympic Games are being conducted by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
Reanalysis of samples using new technology was conducted prior to the Rio 2016 Olympics, with the aim of preventing athletes who had tested positive in the London 2012 retests from attending the Games.
48 anti-doping rule violations were confirmed as a result of more than 500 retests, with the IOC claiming anabolic steroids were mostly detected.
Retests are now set to continue throughout 2019, until the statute of limitations expires in 2020.